Retired educators met in the conference room of the Chattanooga Power Board to form the first chapter of retired educators in Tennessee in May 1957. Five months later on October 25, 1957, retirees from East Tennessee met and formed the Tennessee Retired Teachers' Association. The following purposes were adopted.
1. To promote the economic, social, and professional interest of retired teachers in matters involving their
2. To cooperate with the local and sectional retired teachers associations, Tennessee Education Association
(TEA), National Education Association (NEA), and the National Education Association-Retired (NEA-
3. To act as a clearinghouse in circulation of information to retired teachers as to the latest educational and
legislative developments that concern them;
4. To enlist the support of the active teacher's organizations, boards of education, parent-teacher
organizations, and community, civic, and state groups for all children and youth;
5. To initiate, promote, and support action at the state and national levels for the improvement of living
conditions for older Americans in cooperation with the programs of the NEA, NEA-Retired, and any
other organizations which have similar goals as determined by the Representative Assembly or
Comprised of 89 local chapters and approximately 9,000 members, TRTA has remained dedicated to the fulfillment of these purposes since its inception in 1957.
The benefits enjoyed by current retirees were earned by the efforts of those who preceded them. Membership in TRTA ensures that those who succeed them will enjoy similar or better benefits in their retirement years. Help us to continue this worthy work. Join your local retired teachers' association today!
CELEBRATING 50 YEARS OF MEMBERSHIP
We congratulate the following local associations organized in 1967-1968!
1967 1968 1968 1968 1968 Dekalb Benton Hamblen Lincoln Roane
Fentress Bristol Henderson Marshall Rutherford
Robertson Claiborne Hickman Morgan Scott
Smith Franklin Humphreys Overton Unicoi
Sumner Gibson Johnson Polk Washington
Warren Giles Kingsport Putnam Wayne
Tennessee Retired Teachers' Association
Copyright © Tennessee Retired Teachers Association. All rights reserved.
Last Revised: 5-15-17
Contact Webmaster: firstname.lastname@example.org